Brief - As part of our third module in first year we were tasked with designing our own brand and to develop our identity as designers.
Software: Figma, Miro, Procreate, Photoshop, Illustrator.
Skills: Web design, Prototyping, Wireframing, User research, UX and UI design, Branding and Illustration.
A big part of my design process is based on research and experimentation. I like to record this not only on paper but also on my research blog.
I do not like designing in a vacuum so a big part of my process is also looking at other more experienced designers work and creating a moodboard; I normally do this on Pinterest.
I wanted to create a modern yet timeless logo and wordmark - something that I would (hopefully) not cringe at in 10 years time. I have a great love for architecture and fine art so I wanted to incorporate some of those clean, modern and at times abstract elements that I feel best describe me as a designer as I like to apply my knowledge of other artistic disciplines to my work; in fact I often am inspired by visual artists like Alex Gross, Mr. Doodle and even some past IXD students like Inga Hampton.
Click here to see my research blog.
Another big part of my design process is putting pen to paper. I started off by experimenting with the letters of my name to start forming my logo design. I took some wild turns along the way but I eventually designed my current logo by merging the 'e' in my name and the 'u' from my surname.
I also recorded this process in my research blog.
I created my logo and illustrations using Figma and Procreate. I decided to go with an abstract and flowy design as I felt that this would best represent me. For my visual marque I started off with a simple line drawing but then decided to showcase my illustrative skills further by making an illustration of myself that looked more realistic.
The profile illustration I use in my 'home' page was my final outcome.
I explain this process further in my research blog.
Here is the Figma file for my logo design.
Bellow is a screengrab of my blog post on the different iterations I made of the visual marque.
I was careful in considering the colour scheme for my brand and website as I wanted to create an accessible colour scheme . I used Adobe Color to ensure my selected colours would be inclusive for all users. I decided to go for a soft, calming, fun and feminine aesthetic as I felt that it not only best described me and my personality but that it fitted my brand well also.
I started by creating a gradient from my profile image for all my socials and went from there.
Even before designing the new layout for my website I wanted to have a simplistic and minimal color palette as I wanted the focus to be on the work and not on the surroundings.
Research. That is how it started for me, I found that visiting other designers websites and even some design agencies was a big help in informing me what good website architecture looked like, how to prioritize content and how layout has to be carefully considerated. I explain this in more depth in my research blog.
I was encouraged to wireframe my designs to better understand how my website would work - this is a skill that I have improved upon since 1st year - slowly but surely and that I am still striving to improve upon.
I created the design for my website at the start through trial and error (and many wireframes). I was trying to learn HTML5 and CSS so I could write my own website from scratch however due to time constrains I changed my approach. My old website (which I constructed is still posted on GitHub though). I also go into more detail on this process on my research blog.
While there are still things I would like to change and improve upon, I have managed to create solutions that meet my current needs.